geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo 2.1.2 plans
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2008 14:19:41 GMT

On Jul 8, 2008, at 9:57 AM, Donald Woods wrote:

> Joe Bohn wrote:
>> Kevan Miller wrote:
>>>
>>> On Jul 7, 2008, at 4:18 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

<snip>

>>> Samples --  I'm tempted to say that I need to see a released/
>>> deployable samples for a 2.1.2 release.
>> I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do with Samples regarding
>> 2.1.2. We definitely need to get samples released.  I also think
>> it's still important to get versions of samples available that can
>> be deployed on Geronimo 2.1 and 2.1.1.  If we release samples for
>> either or both of these releases then we can also release a
>> compatibility plugin so that they can run in 2.1.2.  We might want
>> to even consider including the appropriate artifact-alias entries
>> in the 2.1.2 server images directly with the 2.1.2 release (instead
>> of a plugin) so that not only samples but other plugins created for
>> 2.1 or 2.1.1 could run on 2.1.2 (such as Directory).
>
> Agree that we should release the Samples before 2.1.2.
> Also like the idea of including the artifact-alias entries in 2.1.2,
> so we don't need the plugin.

I really don't like the idea of a compatibility plugin for 2.1.x
plugin compatibility. In most cases, compatibility within service
releases should be automatic, IMO, and should not require installation
of a compatibility plugin. . Major release to major release
compatibility (e.g. 2.1 -> 2.2) is another matter...

--kevan