geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Shrey Banga" <banga.sh...@gmail.com>
Subject Shifting from xmlbean to JAXB in PlanCreator
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:24:52 GMT
    I had opened a JIRA
(GERONIMO-4197<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4197>)
which is intended to shift from using xmlbean classes to JAXB classes for
making the task of PlanCreator easier by exposing the JAXB classes directly.
I've been able to use this approach to maintain an object of the JAXB class
'Application' with javascript and use it to call a function through DWR that
marshalls it into the deployment plan. Similarly, I'm able to unmarshal the
plan if it is modified by the user and reflect those changes in the
PlanCreator.
    The reason to shift from xmlbean to JAXB in this case was the way JAXB
classes are organized- by adding just a few lines to dwr.xml, I can expose
all those classes and use them to maintain a copy of the Application object.
The same would have been a lot more tedious to configure and maintain in
xmlbean, considering each class provides more functions and factory classes
than what is needed by DWR. Earlier, this was being done by creating wrapper
classes to the xmlbean which were becoming unmanagable and would need heavy
maintenance with changes in the schema. I did have to modify some JAXB
classes to have setters where it had only getters that returned live Lists
to make it work with the DWR BeanConverter.
    So now this shift will help reduce a lot of bloated code from
PlanCreator and improve maintainability. Since GEP already uses these
classes we can shift the jar to geronimo and add a dependency in GEP and
PlanCreator for the same.
Opinions?

--
Shrey Banga