geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianny Damour <gianny.dam...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject Re: Liferay as a Geronimo Plugin
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2008 04:58:28 GMT
On 14/07/2008, at 5:17 PM, Peter Petersson wrote:

> Gianny Damour wrote:
>> Hello Peter,
>>
>> This is great news for Liferay developers!
>>
>> IMHO, one of the pain points with Liferay development is the time
>> it takes to build, pack and deploy a WAR to Liferay. Even if
>> Liferay is not so bad on this front when compared with other
>> portals, a typical build-deploy-test cycle is way too time
>> consuming and hence seriously impacts productivity. It would be
>> fantastic to have an in-place WAR development mode in Geronimo.
>> What do you think?
> I guess you are referring to working with/in the liferay ext
> development environment (?). I know to little of Liferay internals
> (and Geronimo for that mater) to be sure exactly what you are
> looking for, but I am sure the Liferay team is working hard on
> making there development environment easier and faster to work
> with. Maybe you can elaborate a bit more on what you are thinking of.
Hello,

My understanding is that each time that you make a change, you need
to build a WAR; drop it in the deployment folder of Liferay; Liferay
scans and transforms the WAR (looking for portlets, themes et
cetera); it then hands it over to Geronimo for deployment. These
deployment steps are time consuming, especially during development.

What I had in mind is a Geronimo plugin allowing the in-place
deployment of WARs to Liferay:
1. I define a specific WAR project structure;
2. I set-up my IDE to work against this well-known WAR project
structure;
3. I implement my portlets and my IDE compiles the sources to the
right folder of the WAR project structure;
4. I deploy to Geronimo my WAR project structure;
5. A custom ModuleBuilder identifies that this is a liferay WAR
project structure; looks for the relevant Liferay components; and
deploys it in-place.

> Personally I will look in to setting up a maven project for
> building Liferay portlets and have them deployed to Geronimo in
> some automated way instead of working with the ext environment,
> maybe this is what you are looking for? I don't know yet how the
> deployment could be done but I guess that I will making use of
> Liferays hot-deploy mechanism and/or if possible find some way to
> make use of Geronimo:s plugin concept. If possible I would
> certainly prefer the plugin solution.

I believe that the Liferay hot-deployment mechanism is way too slow
in development.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Gianny