geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Documentation of new 2.2 features in current wiki?
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2008 07:20:47 GMT

On Jul 30, 2008, at 6:46 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2008, at 6:25 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>

>> On Jul 29, 2008, at 2:06 PM, Jarek Gawor wrote:
>>
>>> I think it would be nicer to create pages with 2.2 specific content
>>> somewhere under http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDEV/index.html for now.
>>> Once we have 2.2 documentation space setup we can move the pages
>>> around. Or at least I don't think we should mix 2.2 content with 2.1
>>> content.
>>
>> OK, but who exactly is going to do all this wiki maintenance that
>> you are proposing?  I suggest mixing the docs because I don't think
>> it will be confusing with prominent enough labels and I don't think
>> that wiki maintenance is going to happen, no matter how many good
>> intentions people now have.  Furthermore I would much rather that
>> anyone with the knowledge to organize the documentation and
>> interest in working on it spend it on content rather than continual
>> reorganization.
>
> I agree with Jarek. I'd prefer that we keep 2.1 and 2.2 content
> separated. We've still got G 1.1 users. I don't see how a
> documentation super-set is going to be viable, in the long term. At
> some point, the documentation would need to be separated. Better, I
> think, to start out that way and keep things cleaner for 2.1 users.

If the 2.1 docs are complete I suggest we immediately copy them to a
set of 2.2 docs and I will happily document new features there.  If
not we need a plan.  I think there have been two basic ideas so far:

1. put new 2.2 docs go into http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDEV. A quick
glance suggests this is currently mostly a combination of advice on
how to develop geronimo and documentation that applies to released
versions of geronimo such as 2.0 and 2.1.  I don't see any reason so
far to think that this will be maintained better in the future and
stuff moved from here to appropriate versioned docs.  How would this
work?

2. Add 2.2 docs to the current 2.1 docs, clearly marked as for 2.2 and
later.  If and when we copy the 2.1 docs to a 2.2 branch, we can
remove these pages from the 2.1 docs and remove the "since" notices.

My impression based on gossip is that while it's possible to copy an
entire wiki space it isn't possible to move individual pages between
spaces.  Is this correct?  If so IMNSHO (1) will never work with
confluence. If not I think there's at least one page I'd like to
move.... instructions would be great.

Anyone have another idea?

thanks
david jencks