geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo v2.2 discussion
Date Sat, 05 Jul 2008 21:16:17 GMT

On Jul 2, 2008, at 4:58 PM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 5:01 PM, Hernan Cunico <hcunico@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> We kinda started to have some discussion some time ago but couldn't
>> find any
>> hit on nabble so not sure were we left it.
>
> It's likely because we've been discussing 2.1.2 so far and nobody
> thought about rushing towards 2.2.

Thanks Hernan!

Ya. There's been a lot of focus on 2.1.2, lately. Definitely looking
forward to seeing more energies turning towards 2.2.

First, I'm thinking in terms of a September/October date for Geronimo
2.2. How do others feel about that as a target date?

The following are a mix of features that have been discussed
previously, by me and others, and a few new brainstorming ideas. I've
placed in categories, to help me think about them...

Java EE 6 features. We don't have an initial spec, yet, and many
technologies don't have a finalized spec, but I expect we'll be able
to introduce some EE 6 sneak-previews. (BTW, I'm assuming that 2.2
will be Java EE 5 certified. So, some caveats on what features we're
able to introduce). Candidate features:

   - JSE 6 (as mentioned by Donald)
   - JAX-WS 2.1 (as mentioned by Donald and Dan)
   - EJB 3.1 - OpenEJB has been having some 3.1 related discussions.
Would be great to start rolling out some EJB 3.1 features.
   - JASPI - I know David Jencks has started looking into this.
   - JCA 1.6 seems like another potential candidate
   - Concurrency Utilities: Jarek has done some implementation work
for JSR 236. Will there be enough to be released?
   - Others?

Potential new function:
   - XML-based configuration state (i.e. no more config.ser)
   - SFSB clustering - Gianny has mentioned this in the past. Would be
great to see...
   - scripting/code-by-convention environment - would be cool to see a
Grails/JRuby on Rails environment integrated with Geronimo
   - GShell improvements - see http://cwiki.apache.org/GSHELL/goals.html

Usability
   - revamped logging code for some key components
   - improve deployment error messages
   - simplify plugin and custom assembly creation

Performance
   - would be great to see some new performance analysis and tuning
work on Geronimo
   - improved startup times - I'd like to see a dramatic improvement
in our EE startup time. I think this is an issue where Geronimo is
used as a development environment.

Documentation
   - more and better ;-)

--kevan