geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jack <greensi...@gmail.com>
Subject Fixing usability/accessibility issues in Admin Console
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 06:53:23 GMT
Hi all!

A newbie here - Cai Jun Jie. You can also call me Jack!

My teammates and I have been looking at accessibility of Geronimo's Admin
Console. Most people would think that accessibility only matters for the
disabled. Yet some people argue - which I also mostly agree - that if we
make software easily accessible, then it benefits all the users!

There are already some JIRAs openned against Admin Console's accessiblity,
e.g., GERONIMO-4081 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4081>,
GERONIMO-4080 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4080>. After a
quick analysis, the top 3 problems we see include -
1. No error messages shown when invalid form data are submitted. This is a
usability issue for all users.
2. No label element defined for form elements. This prevents some screen
reader software from reading HTML forms in a meaningful way. Screen reader
software is a key assisting tools for low-vision people.
3. No ALT attributes defined for images. Similar to Problem 2.

We will be submitting patches to fix Problem 2 & 3. Since there are so many
occurrences, we will divide the patches based on page groups. We will leave
the problems that exist in DOJO though, hoping that more recent DOJO
releases will have most of their problems resolved.

As to Problem 1, I believe we should define a unified way to present error
messages. For example, for invalid form data, stay on the same page and
present the error message near each form element that has the invalid input;
and for other error (like system error), stay on the same page and present
the error message at the top of the main content. Or, simply present all
kinds of error message at the top of the main content...

Would be very interested in knowing the community's opinions...

Regards,

Jack Cai