geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Documentation of new 2.2 features in current wiki?
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2008 19:54:19 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2008, at 6:46 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

>>> OK, but who exactly is going to do all this wiki maintenance that you
>>> are proposing?  I suggest mixing the docs because I don't think it
>>> will be confusing with prominent enough labels and I don't think that
>>> wiki maintenance is going to happen, no matter how many good
>>> intentions people now have.  Furthermore I would much rather that
>>> anyone with the knowledge to organize the documentation and interest
>>> in working on it spend it on content rather than continual
>>> reorganization.
>>
>> I agree with Jarek. I'd prefer that we keep 2.1 and 2.2 content
>> separated. We've still got G 1.1 users. I don't see how a
>> documentation super-set is going to be viable, in the long term. At
>> some point, the documentation would need to be separated. Better, I
>> think, to start out that way and keep things cleaner for 2.1 users.
>
> If the 2.1 docs are complete I suggest we immediately copy them to a set
> of 2.2 docs and I will happily document new features there.  If not we
> need a plan.  I think there have been two basic ideas so far:
>
> 1. put new 2.2 docs go into http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDEV. A quick
> glance suggests this is currently mostly a combination of advice on how
> to develop geronimo and documentation that applies to released versions
> of geronimo such as 2.0 and 2.1.  I don't see any reason so far to think
> that this will be maintained better in the future and stuff moved from
> here to appropriate versioned docs.  How would this work?
>
> 2. Add 2.2 docs to the current 2.1 docs, clearly marked as for 2.2 and
> later.  If and when we copy the 2.1 docs to a 2.2 branch, we can remove
> these pages from the 2.1 docs and remove the "since" notices.

3. Create a new space for Apache Geronimo 2.2 (similar to the spaces we
have for 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 2.0, and 2.1).  Add new documents specific to
2.2 into this new space.  It would be fairly sparse for now.  When we
complete the 2.1 docs we can clone them into the 2.2 space and integrate
the 2.2 specific documents into the appropriate sections/structure.

I can look into what would be necessary to create the 2.2 space and add
a link to it on along side the other 5 releases.

Joe