geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Remove samples myphonebook and mytime?
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2008 21:12:37 GMT
Lin Sun wrote:
> I agree with David - if two samples are completely duplicate we need
> to remove one, given the time we need to spend to maintain them in svn
> and wiki and the fact that  the duplicate sample doesn't provide any
> extra usage.
>
> We should divide samples by its functionalities.   At the end, the
> samples are used to demonstrate a particular function, and I don't
> think 3 entities or 1 entities will make a difference in helping users
> consume them.  It will be annoying to the user if we release two
> samples with duplicate functions but we fail to update one of them due
> to lack of time/resource.

I don't think users have ever been annoyed because we provided too many
samples.  However, I agree that if we keep them we must ensure that they
are functional and documented.  Is there some issue with
functionality/doc of the mytime or myphonebook samples?  If they are
updated and functional (which I have validated that they are) then I
think we should go ahead and release them.  If they do fall behind on a
future release we can decide at that time if it is a better use of our
time to remove them rather than update them.  However, for 2.1.2 I think
the maintenance issue is a moot argument.

> I looked at bank and myphonebook closely (both are stateless ejb, and
> application managed persistence context with JPA) thus I think we
> should remove one of them.

Ok, so if there isn't any difference between the 3 entities and 1 entity
... and we really want to eliminate duplication ...  then let's remove
the sample with 3 entities (bank).  The original proposal here was to
remove the sample with 1 entity (myphonebook).  The sample with 1 entity
was added as a "very simple" sample and, IIRC it was added after we had
the 3 entity sample.  So, it would seem there was already a case where a
user was confused by 3 entities vs. 1 and hence the 1 entity sample was
created.  Also, it will be easier to maintain and update the sample with
1 entity in the future rather than 3 if your primary argument is the
work involved in maintenance.

One other thought on bank ... I wonder if it was envisioned as growing
into a more complex sample and it just never "grew-up".  If we somehow
decide to keep bank but remove myphonebook then I hope we can put
something in place to prevent a simple sample from growing too complex.
The thing I like about myphonebook and mytime is that they were created
with the idea of being very simple and nothing else.

> mytime and calculator (yes, we changed the name from
> calculator-stateless-pojo to calculator) are mostly the same too (both
> are stateless ejb).   The only difference is that mytime web client
> uses JNDI to look up the bean while calculator client uses @EJB
> annotation to inject the session bean's interface.   I don't know if
> it is worthy to keep them because of the difference here?

Here again, if we don't want to keep both, then let's remove the sample
that is less common and/or more complex.  I'm not sure which that is but
the mytime sample was added long after calculator and the motivation for
adding it was the need for a "very simple" example.  Perhaps calculator
has been simplified over time or perhaps it never grew-up either.  But
it seems that it didn't meet the need when mytime was first introduced.
  I wonder what has changed since then?