geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Petersson <petersson.pe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Liferay as a Geronimo Plugin
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:12:01 GMT
Gianny Damour wrote:
> On 14/07/2008, at 5:17 PM, Peter Petersson wrote:
>
>> Gianny Damour wrote:
>>> Hello Peter,
>>>
>>> This is great news for Liferay developers!
>>>
>>> IMHO, one of the pain points with Liferay development is the time it
>>> takes to build, pack and deploy a WAR to Liferay. Even if Liferay is
>>> not so bad on this front when compared with other portals, a typical
>>> build-deploy-test cycle is way too time consuming and hence
>>> seriously impacts productivity. It would be fantastic to have an
>>> in-place WAR development mode in Geronimo. What do you think?
>> I guess you are referring to working with/in the liferay ext
>> development environment (?). I know to little of Liferay internals
>> (and Geronimo for that mater) to be sure exactly what you are looking
>> for, but I am sure the Liferay team is working hard on making there
>> development environment easier and faster to work with. Maybe you can
>> elaborate a bit more on what you are thinking of.
> Hello,
>
> My understanding is that each time that you make a change, you need to
> build a WAR; drop it in the deployment folder of Liferay; Liferay
> scans and transforms the WAR (looking for portlets, themes et cetera);
> it then hands it over to Geronimo for deployment. These deployment
> steps are time consuming, especially during development.
>
> What I had in mind is a Geronimo plugin allowing the in-place
> deployment of WARs to Liferay:
> 1. I define a specific WAR project structure;
> 2. I set-up my IDE to work against this well-known WAR project structure;
> 3. I implement my portlets and my IDE compiles the sources to the
> right folder of the WAR project structure;
> 4. I deploy to Geronimo my WAR project structure;
> 5. A custom ModuleBuilder identifies that this is a liferay WAR
> project structure; looks for the relevant Liferay components; and
> deploys it in-place.

Hi,

Maybe this is something on the line of what you are looking for:
I have set up a small maven "test" project that wraps liferay portlets,
themes et cetera into deployable Geronimo plugins. Looking at the logs
wile deploying a liferay portlet geronimo plugin it seem to handle the
deployment correctly and Liferay notifies you about a available update
but looking in to it in the "Update manager" admin tool in liferay the
Installation status never changes from "Installation in progress" so I
suspect there is some configuration problem or module missing In my
Geronimo Liferay server assembly for it to work correctly. Hopefully
this is resolvable but at the moment I don't have a clue about whats
causing the problem.

Using this approach It would probably not be to hard to totally automate
the installation process for Liferay "extensions" by using GShell (or is
there a way to deploy to Geronimo plugins via maven directly ?)

I was thinking of testing the portlet plugins on the new Liferay
Geronimo (5.0.1/2.1.1) assembly available from Liferay but there is a
(issue reported) problem with user authentication using derby db as
back-end so I was unfortunately not able to see if it worked better on
that one.

regards
    peter petersson