geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: more exposure for LICENSE and NOTICE files?
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 18:19:32 GMT
Ted Kirby wrote:
>>>From our server release download pages, I see no reference to the
> license under which the server is released.  There is a link to
> release notes, but it does not mention the information either.  The
> legal information is collected in the LICENSE and NOTICE files.
> Shouldn't we provide some link to it?  I would particularly like to
> see these files in http://www.apache.org/dist/geronimo/2.1.1/.

It wouldn't be difficult to add a copy of the LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt
there. However, our official statement is what is included within each
distribution item.  If we were to include something at the distribution
level I suppose it would have match what we include in the server images
(which I think is the most all-inclusive).  It might be a problem
keeping these in sync.

> I've been doing a lot of work lately on these files so they get
> displayed properly in GEP.  Eclipse, particularly the Update Manager,
> has many facilities for displaying this information.  If these files
> were on the web site, it would make things easier in GEP, especially
> for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMODEVTOOLS-416 Add
> click-through license screen to Download and Install path.

Could we pull the license info from the jar/zip itself?  That is really
the requirement for our distribution and would eliminate any possibility
of things getting out of sync.