geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Petersson <petersson.pe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Liferay as a Geronimo Plugin
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 07:17:08 GMT
Gianny Damour wrote:
> Hello Peter,
>
> This is great news for Liferay developers!
>
> IMHO, one of the pain points with Liferay development is the time it
> takes to build, pack and deploy a WAR to Liferay. Even if Liferay is
> not so bad on this front when compared with other portals, a typical
> build-deploy-test cycle is way too time consuming and hence seriously
> impacts productivity. It would be fantastic to have an in-place WAR
> development mode in Geronimo. What do you think?
I guess you are referring to working with/in the liferay ext development
environment (?). I know to little of Liferay internals (and Geronimo for
that mater) to be sure exactly what you are looking for, but I am sure
the Liferay team is working hard on making there development environment
easier and faster to work with. Maybe you can elaborate a bit more on
what you are thinking of.

Personally I will look in to setting up a maven project for building
Liferay portlets and have them deployed to Geronimo in some automated
way instead of working with the ext environment, maybe this is what you
are looking for? I don't know yet how the deployment could be done but I
guess that I will making use of Liferays hot-deploy mechanism and/or if
possible find some way to make use of Geronimo:s plugin concept. If
possible I would certainly prefer the plugin solution.

Maybe the deployment could be done in a similar way of what we have done
with the roller-themes plugin in the geromimo-roller project ?
see https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/plugins/roller/trunk

regards
   peter petersson