geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Removing specific sample references on the Welcome Page?
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2008 22:01:36 GMT
Tim McConnell wrote:
> Hi Joe, if I put my end-user hat on and I click on any sample/example
> link on the Geronimo server's welcome page I would expect it to work out
> of the box, or I'm not going to be overly impressed. So if I continue
> this train of thought, it seems like any examples on this page should
> actually be packaged-with, shipped-with, tested-with, and released-with,
> the server. That way they would have to always work, or otherwise the
> server couldn't be released. An explicit install action for these
> examples probably is probably okay but to depend on an artifact that
> must have been released to an external repository at another time isn't
> okay, since again as an end-user I expect it to work out of the box, and
> as you've just demonstrated they may not (for various reasons). So, why
> not mitigate these problems and if the need to be installed, just
> install them from say an "examples" subdirectory that is again packaged
> with the server ?? No need for an internet connection, no dependency on
> an external repo, etc...

I agree.  In fact, this is one of the reasons that I was in favor of
moving the samples back into trunk svn ... but I was giving some ground
up by stating that the didn't need to be packaged with the server ...
concerned out image size and such.  However, I think you are correct
that samples that are installed directly from the welcome app seem to
imply that they are local and hence should be packaged with the server.
  This is another reason why we should remove them from the welcome app
if we don't plan to release and package them together.

> I know your probably don't want/need another alternative to your other
> devlist thread, but maybe just for the sake of this email I demarcate
> between examples and samples. Where "examples" ship with and are
> packaged with the server, and can be executed directly from the "Welcome
> page". It may be true that this class of examples are so-called simple
> examples. But so what, they'll always work because they have to, there
> would be no need for a separate release process for them, they could
> grow them over time, and we could always be confident of the end-user
> impression they'll convey...... And where "samples" are pretty much an
> arduous subset of the samples we have today with all their incumbent
> problems you've grown to love, and where we might only provide links
> from the "Welcome Page" to a Geronimo URL which would then require an
> internet connect, a separate release process, an external repo, etc....

I see where you are headed and I partially agree.  However, I see two
issues:
1) Packaging examples is great for a development environment but not
very optimal for a production server. Hence, if we grow the server size
with packaged samples our production users would probably have to
manually remove them or build their own server image.  While that might
be a good way to encourage users to create custom server images I'm not
sure it would be well received.  I think we have already received some
grief for the welcome app itself (esp. since it uses the / context) and
we direct users to remove it if necessary.
2) It's a rather fuzzy distinction between samples and examples.  I can
see confusion from users on where to look for function x as well as from
  Geronimo developers when wondering how to demonstrate some function.
Is it an example or a sample?

I guess I'm still inclined to just remove the detailed entries and point
the users to the wiki for information on samples and how to go about
getting/installing/playing with them.