geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Tim McConnell <tim.mcco...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Removing specific sample references on the Welcome Page?
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2008 23:34:36 GMT
Hi Joe, if I put my end-user hat on and I click on any sample/example link on the
Geronimo server's welcome page I would expect it to work out of the box, or I'm
not going to be overly impressed. So if I continue this train of thought, it
seems like any examples on this page should actually be packaged-with,
shipped-with, tested-with, and released-with, the server. That way they would
have to always work, or otherwise the server couldn't be released. An explicit
install action for these examples probably is probably okay but to depend on an
artifact that must have been released to an external repository at another time
isn't okay, since again as an end-user I expect it to work out of the box, and as
you've just demonstrated they may not (for various reasons). So, why not mitigate
these problems and if the need to be installed, just install them from say an
"examples" subdirectory that is again packaged with the server ?? No need for an
internet connection, no dependency on an external repo, etc...

I know your probably don't want/need another alternative to your other devlist
thread, but maybe just for the sake of this email I demarcate between examples
and samples. Where "examples" ship with and are packaged with the server, and can
be executed directly from the "Welcome page". It may be true that this class of
examples are so-called simple examples. But so what, they'll always work because
they have to, there would be no need for a separate release process for them,
they could grow them over time, and we could always be confident of the end-user
impression they'll convey...... And where "samples" are pretty much an arduous
subset of the samples we have today with all their incumbent problems you've
grown to love, and where we might only provide links from the "Welcome Page" to a
Geronimo URL which would then require an internet connect, a separate release
process, an external repo, etc....

--
Thanks,
Tim McConnell