geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Removing specific sample references on the Welcome Page?
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:26:27 GMT
The Geronimo welcome page (http://localhost:8080/) has long included
links under a header of Geronimo Examples.

Under this header are the following 3 links:
- Servlet Examples
- JSP Examples
- LDAP Demo
- Additional Samples

I'd like to remove the first 3 links and rename the last link to simply
"Samples" for trunk and branches/2.1 (prior to the 2.1.2 release).  The
last link takes you to a page  on our wiki that lists doc links for the
samples per release ... I think that is more appropriate.

The first 3 links present another html page from the local server that
contains text similar to this:
This sample has not been installed yet. If this server can connect to
the internet, click here to install and connect to the sample
application. It will take a few minutes to download and install the
sample and then load it.

Those 3 links present some problems (and currently don't work for 2.1 or
2.1.1 that have already been released).
- Clicking the install link attempts to connect to a repository and
initiate a install of the specified sample.
- The repository is not always as desired.  For me it defaults to my
local maven2 repo.
- The current component IDs are incorrect.  That's easy enough to change
but I suspect there would still be issues (see the next points).
- Even if it linked to the correct repo for the release, there would
still be a period of time after a server release when the samples are
not yet available in the repository.
- The LDAP demo requires some additional setup now because we no longer
include Directory in the initial server image ... hence this gives a
false impression that simply clicking on the link will make the example
functional.

Given these problem and the fact that is has been broken for several
releases. I'd like to remove the specific server example links from the
welcome page before we ship 2.1.2.  Any objections?

Joe