geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: version compatibility plugin?
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2008 18:51:08 GMT
Lin Sun wrote:
> Yes, I am able to move onto the next missing dependency module.   Thanks.
>
> Is there a reason why we need both?  I thought we just need one and
> version can be omitted on the left side per
> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/how-to-upgrade-jars-and-swap-modules.html

What you need depends on the way the dependency itself is specified.  If
it is specified with the version such as 2.1 then you need the /2.1/
entry.  This is the case for the jsp sample.  If it is called out
without a version then you need the // entry.  The doc you referenced
calls the former a "fixed version".

IIRC the jsp sample had 2.1 in the jasper dependency ... but it also had
a dependency on the tomcat/jetty car.  The tomcat/jetty car has a
dependency on jasper without the version.  You might not need the //
entry but in general it is usually best to provide both the versioned
and non-versioned entries.

BTW, I was actually using a quick pass at a compatibility plugin I had
created for that included all of the cars for the tomcat server instance
... so some other dependencies may have been resolved beyond jasper
(such as the tomcat dependency).

Joe