geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Geronimo 2.1.2 plans
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2008 20:18:46 GMT

Given that there were no objections to my offer to be release manager
for 2.1.2 - I'll go ahead and assume the role :-).

There have been a number of JIRAs identified as required and others as
optional.  In addition to this there were already several already tagged
with a "fix version" of 2.1.2.  I added all of these latter ones to the
optional category.  At the moment I think things are current in the wiki:
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxPMGT/geronimo-212-release-plan.html

Several of the JIRAs that have been identified do not yet have an owner.
  We may need to discuss how critical these truly are for a 2.1.2 release.

In addition to the JIRAs there have been several other items mentioned
for 2.1.2:
- Javamail?  Currently there is an optional item to release and include
a new version of javamail.  Given the recent fixes I think it perhaps
should be required.  Are you working on a release Rick and if so, what
is the ETA?  I can pitch in to get a release out if you don't have the
cycles.
- CDDL xsds? David mentioned the possibility of using the cddl xsds
rather than our xsds to generate xmlbeans classes. I'm not familiar with
how much work is necessary here or if it is feasible in the short
time-frame that we are considering for a 2.1.2 release.  Any more feedback?
- Accessibility? There has been some discussion and work on
accessibility improvements for the console.  At this point in time, I
think it makes sense to integrate some items before we lock things down.
  However, I don't think we should make this a requirement for the
release and we'll need to stop the updates early enough so that we can
validate there is no breakage before we create a release candidate (see
proposed dates below).  Comments?

Is there anything else that we're missing?

I'd like to get a release candidate available within a few weeks if
possible.  Perhaps 7/21 is a good target locking down the content (code
freeze).  If we release javamail we might need a little more time than
that.  Does that sound reasonable to all?  That would give us a shot at
getting a release candidate available by 7/24 or so and if all goes
perfectly a certified release and out the door by 7/31.

Joe