geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: version compatibility plugin?
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 16:16:21 GMT
Lin Sun wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> You could try adding
>
>             <scope>provided</scope>
>
> to the org.apache.geronimo.configs/jasper/{version}/car dependency in
> the pom.xml.   I 've seen a similar error like this before and by
> adding the scope fixed it.

Thanks Lin.  That does indeed solve (more correctly avoid) the problem.
  However, adding <provided> means that the dependency will not be
downloaded and must already be available.  That's not necessarily a bad
thing, but it could potentially limit the server configurations upon
which the sample or other plugins can be installed.   That's something
that we can consider for the samples but in any case I think we also
need to get this scenario working  ... where a dependency is not marked
as "provided" but can still be resolved with a different dependency via
the artifact-alias that can be (or already is) installed on the given
server instance.

Joe