geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Sainath Chowdary" <sainathdre...@gmail.com>
Subject Better editor support in source page of Geronimo Deployment Plan Editors
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2008 08:20:50 GMT
Hi,

I think the source page in our Geronimo Deployment Plan Editors is a bare
bones Text Editor. Instead we should support *Syntax Highlighting *and
*Content-Assist
*which helps the developer immensely and also gives a cleanly formatted view
of the content in deployment plan editors.

We need to use *StructuredTextEditor* instead of *TextEditor* which we are
currently using to implement all these new features without any hicks by
reusing the code from *Eclipse*. Also we need to add our schema files to the
*XML catalog* in eclipse for the content-assist to work properly.

For providing content-assist we have two options, creating a new plugin with
the schema files and shipping it with GEP *or* Using the schema files that
we already have in our JAXB model (i.e org.apache.geronimo.jee.v21.JAXB),

We just need to use the extension provided by eclipse to add files into
catalog. Also there are some new schema files introduced in Geronimo-2.2
(jetty, jetty-config, tomcat, tomcat-config), We need to add those files
into JAXB model and use the extension point *XMLCatalogContributions *to
provide content-assist in source page of Geronimo Deployment Editors.

But the problem is that we at present don't ship the schema files with our
JAXB model plugin. So we need to export the schema files also which will
increase the size of GEP by 50KB roughly.

So can anyone suggest which way to proceed for the schema files i.e use the
schema files already present in JAXB by exporting them with it or ship
another plugin with the schema files (which is better option instead of
merging functionality)

I have already created a JIRA for this issue and attached a patch that adds
syntax highlighting feature.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMODEVTOOLS-410

Regards,

--