geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Kirby" <ted.ki...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Download and Install in Geronimo Eclipse Plugin
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:47:31 GMT
On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 7:07 AM, Ashish Jain <ashjain2@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All!
> I would like to work on the Download and Install in GEP. Currently I do not
> find it intuitive and seems confusing. There are some issues with it which
> are as follows
>
> 1) Before Selecting "Download and Install" we need to mention a directory
> else the Download and Install Button will not be enabled. In this case we
> need to manually create a directory.

Yes, this screen and button are not the most intuitive.  But, it does
provide good function.  There is a browse button next to the
application server installation directory text box.  In the browse
button dialog, there is a button/facility to create a new directory.

> 2) Download and Install always installs the latest version of 2.x.x branch.
> Currently by default 2.1.2 is downloaded. In case we want to download 2.1 or
> 2.1.1 that does not seems to be working.

An interesting idea.  Note also GERONIMODEVTOOLS-416 "Add
click-through license screen to Download and Install path" which
should come first and be factored in, here particularly.  in
addInstallableRuntimeSection in GeronimoRuntimeWizardFragment,
installable.getLicense(monitor) can be used to get the license from a
feature.  Note I recently defined v20 and v21 features.  See
GERONIMODEVTOOLS-417 "Create a separate installable runtime feature
for each version and type of geronimo server".  Were you going to
create a feature for each, or roll your own code?  If the latter, then
getLicense would probably not help here.

> 3) Sizes of the various modules being installed are manually set currently.
> Probably we can automate it. There is a JIRA also open for it
> GERONIMODEVTOOLS-403.

I think automation would be great!

> Regarding this we can modify the Download and Install menu as follows
>  Enable the button without entering the "Installation Directory". Once
> "Download and Install" is selected it should pop up another menu showing the
> different servers available for a particular version. Suppose We select
> Apache geronimo Server V2.1 it should enlist 2.1, 2.1.1, 2.1.2(identifying
> 2.1.2 as an unstable release since it is yet not released). Also in the same
> window we can have specify the installation directory path to install the
> server. If the directory is not present GEP will automatically create the
> directory. Select Ok to start installation.

The current code tells you if the directory exists or not.  It seems
that some feedback or confirmation is desirable as opposed to blindly
creating a non-existent directory.

> If there are no concerns, I would like to go ahead and implement the above
> features, and attach patches. Please suggest.

As noted before, be sure to consider GERONIMODEVTOOLS-416.

3) has two JIRAs: 403 and 420.  It seems like 2) could be a new JIRA.
Anything for 1) seems a fallout of 2).  I'd like to see some
discussion of these issues before creating the new JIRA.

Ted