geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Kirby" <ted.ki...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: more exposure for LICENSE and NOTICE files?
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:14:30 GMT
On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Joe Bohn <joe.bohn@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Ted Kirby wrote:
>>>
>>> From our server release download pages, I see no reference to the
>>
>> license under which the server is released.  There is a link to
>> release notes, but it does not mention the information either.  The
>> legal information is collected in the LICENSE and NOTICE files.
>> Shouldn't we provide some link to it?  I would particularly like to
>> see these files in http://www.apache.org/dist/geronimo/2.1.1/.
>
> It wouldn't be difficult to add a copy of the LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt
> there. However, our official statement is what is included within each
> distribution item.  If we were to include something at the distribution
> level I suppose it would have match what we include in the server images
> (which I think is the most all-inclusive).  It might be a problem keeping
> these in sync.

Good point.  It does seem that a distribution should contain the
LICENSE and NOTICE  files of the components of which it is composed.
It would be nice if this were automated.  Is it?  For 2.1.1, it seems
these files match for the jetty and tomcat distributions, which is
surprising.  I don't think Jetty and CXF should be mentioned in the
tomcat distribution versions.  On the other hand, going with these
current versions as the most all-inclusive on the web site would
accomplish what I'm after.

>> I've been doing a lot of work lately on these files so they get
>> displayed properly in GEP.  Eclipse, particularly the Update Manager,
>> has many facilities for displaying this information.  If these files
>> were on the web site, it would make things easier in GEP, especially
>> for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMODEVTOOLS-416 Add
>> click-through license screen to Download and Install path.
>
> Could we pull the license info from the jar/zip itself?  That is really the
> requirement for our distribution and would eliminate any possibility of
> things getting out of sync.

I found a method to get this information from the feature, which is
good for the specific JIRA.  I'd like to have the files somewhere such
that a browser can view them.  I don't think this will work for the
files inside a jar/zip file.

Thanks.