geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Ashish Jain" <ashja...@gmail.com>
Subject Download and Install in Geronimo Eclipse Plugin
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:07:55 GMT
Hi All!
I would like to work on the *Download and Install *in GEP. Currently I do
not find it intuitive and seems confusing. There are some issues with it
which are as follows

1) Before Selecting "Download and Install" we need to mention a directory
else the Download and Install Button will not be enabled. In this case we
need to manually create a directory.
2) Download and Install always installs the latest version of 2.x.x branch.
Currently by default 2.1.2 is downloaded. In case we want to download 2.1 or
2.1.1 that does not seems to be working.
3) Sizes of the various modules being installed are manually set currently.
Probably we can automate it. There is a JIRA also open for it
GERONIMODEVTOOLS-403.

Regarding this we can modify the Download and Install menu as follows
 Enable the button without entering the "Installation Directory". Once
"Download and Install" is selected it should pop up another menu showing the
different servers available for a particular version. Suppose We select
Apache geronimo Server V2.1 it should enlist 2.1, 2.1.1, 2.1.2(identifying
2.1.2 as an unstable release since it is yet not released). Also in the same
window we can have specify the installation directory path to install the
server. If the directory is not present GEP will automatically create the
directory. Select Ok to start installation.

If there are no concerns, I would like to go ahead and implement the above
features, and attach patches. Please suggest.

Thanks
Ashish