geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Moving JAXB classes from GEP to G (was Shifting from xmlbean to JAXB in PlanCreator)
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2008 18:43:41 GMT

On Jul 29, 2008, at 11:26 AM, Shiva Kumar H R wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 11:45 PM, Kevan Miller
> <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Jul 29, 2008, at 10:15 AM, Shiva Kumar H R wrote:
>
>> I too am +1 to moving JAXB classes from Geronimo Eclipse Plug-in
>> (GEP) to Geronimo (G). That way in addition to GEP, G's deployment
>> system in future, Plan Creator and may be some others too will reap
>> the benefits of JAXB.
>>
>> One concern however is about "where should the JAXB classes be
>> moved to?" I see two ways for this (please correct me if I am wrong
>> here):
>> A) Move JAXB code into server (https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/trunk/

>> ) as a new module or plug-in and release it along with server.
>> B) Move JAXB code into specs (https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/trunk/

>> ) and release it whenever the schema changes. (for ex. I see
>> geronimo-application-2.0.xsd has not changed across G 2.0, 2.1 &
>> 2.2, however G2.0 had plugins-1.2.xsd, while G2.1 & G2.2 have
>> plugins-1.3.xsd).
>>
>> And below is my reasoning to consider Approach-B:
>> i) GEP has traditionally supported previous releases of G too. For.
>> ex. in addition to current G2.1 (and its minor versions), GEP also
>> supports G2.0. A major reason behind this I think is to allow
>> easier porting of applications from one version to another.
>> ii) Now, if we move away JAXB classes from GEP and put it into G
>> server (approach-A), then these JAXB classes will only be available
>> starting from G2.2 onwards and will probably support only latest
>> version of G schemas. So how should GEP support previous versions
>> of G servers and G schemas?
>> iii) If however, we move JAXB classes into G specs and release a
>> new spec-jar everytime a new version of G schema comes up, then GEP
>> will easily be able to support multiple versions of G server & G
>> schemas.
>
> Hi Shiva,
> Can you point us to the JAXB classes that you are referring to?
>
> Thanks Kevan for looking into this. Here it is:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/devtools/eclipse-plugin/trunk/plugins/org.apache.geronimo.jee.v21.jaxbmodel/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/jee/
>

> geronimo/specs contain our EE specs. I'm having trouble imagining
> why we would start including non-EE artifacts in specs. Doesn't mean
> that we can't achieve desired results from a different location.
>
> Possible that this work could be associated with migrating to use
> CDDL licensed deployment descriptor xsd's (and not use comment-
> removed xsd's generated from tck).
>
> --kevan

I still haven't really figured out if these are for the jee deployment
descriptors or the geronimo plans.
I think the ones for the ee dds should be in a single module, possibly
in specs or somewhere in server.

I think the ones for geronimo plans should be with the builders or in
related modules, i.e. one jar per builder.  I'm going to look into
converting the jetty7 builder (in sandbox) to using jaxb (and actually
sxc).

thanks
david jencks