geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Remove samples myphonebook and mytime?
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2008 17:41:02 GMT
I think you , joe, donald, and hernan are being completely unrealistic
about the likelihood of these samples being maintained even if they
get updated and the value they add and the potential for total
confusion for users when they see a bunch of samples doing exactly the
same thing.

Before suggesting removing them I considered the overlap.  Let me
restate the extent of overlap:

bank has 3 entities, myphonebook has one.  To me this is 100% overlap

mytime and calculator-stateless both demonstrate a stateless ejb with
no connection to the outside world.  Again to me this is 100% overlap.

Rather than spending our non-existent energy maintaining a bunch of
badly written samples that do exactly the same thing I'd rather see
some faintly more realistic samples with a broader range such as an
ejb that sends jms messages and a jsf sample.  There's also a lot of
room for improvements in the samples I think we should keep such as:

- having the web client in a different war than the jaxws service in
the jaxws example
- having an ejb that sends messages in the jms example, probably in a
different ejb jar.
- actually saving the new users in the timereport jar.  I'd recommend
using jpa here.  This would be an example of using jpa from the web
tier, currently missing IIUC.
- demonstrating switching datasources

Although bank and customer-service are pretty similar, I haven't
recommended removing one because I modified customer-service to
demonstrate container managed persistence contexts and left bank
demonstrating application managed persistence contexts.

I am not going to work on these two samples so if you really want to
keep them please divvy up the work and update them and their
documentation.  My understanding is that Joe would like to get the
samples released fairly soon.

thanks
david jencks