geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: <suppress-default-environment>
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2008 23:15:43 GMT

On Jun 2, 2008, at 12:44 PM, Tim McConnell wrote:

> Hi, does anyone happen to know any specifics about the <suppress-
> default-environment> XML element in the geronimo-module-1.2.xsd
> schema ?? Or possibly have any examples where it is used ?? The
> schema documentation includes this comment below, which leads me to
> believe that it's only used by application clients, but I can't find
> any examples where it is ever used. Thanks
>
> "If the "suppress-default-environment" element is specified then any
> default environment build by a builder when deploying the plan will
> be suppressed. An example of where this is useful is when deploying
> a connector on an app client in a separate (standalone) module (not
> as part of a client plan). The connector builder defaultEnvironment
> includes some server modules that won't work on an app client, so
> you need to suppress the default environment and supply a complete
> environment including all parents for a non-app-client module you
> want to run on an app client"

That looks to me like a good description of it.  I think there are
some uses in the tck tests.  Originally this was used for deploying a
datasource or jms connection factory for use on the app client: you
don't want to run the transaction plugin in the client, you need the
client-transaction plugin.  It might be that we aren't using this
element any more since you can do something more useful with the
artifact_aliases.properties for the container you are running: you can
use this to map uses of transaction to client-transaction directly.

thanks
david jencks