geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r669363 - in /geronimo/devtools/eclipse-plugin/trunk/plugins: org.apache.geronimo.st.core/ org.apache.geronimo.st.ui/ org.apache.geronimo.st.v20.core/ org.apache.geronimo.st.v20.ui/ org.apache.geronimo.st.v21.core/ org.apache.geronimo
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2008 02:17:25 GMT
I tried to respond to this earlier, but had a machine failure. Pretty
sure I never got to send...

On Jun 19, 2008, at 12:21 AM, Ted Kirby wrote:

> No.  This notice file adds:
>
> Portions of the Eclipse Geronimo Server Adapter were originally
> developed by
> International Business Machines Corporation and are
> licensed to the Apache Software Foundation under the
> "Software Grant and Corporate Contribution License Agreement",
> informally known as the "Eclipse Geronimo Server Adapter CLA".
>
> This is legacy stuff from 1.0, I believe.  There is also this text in
> the COPYRIGHT file:
>
> The following copyright notice(s) were affixed to portions of the code
> with which this file is now or was at one time distributed
> and are placed here unaltered.
>
> /
> * Copyright (c) 2005 IBM Corporation and others.
> * All rights reserved. This program and the accompanying materials
> * are made available under the terms of the Eclipse Public License
> v1.0
> * which accompanies this distribution, and is available at
> * http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html
> *
> * Contributors:
> *     IBM Corporation - Initial API and implementation
> *******************************************************************************/
>
> I wonder if this COPYRIGHT file could be gotten rid of in light of the
> text in the above notice file?

Yes, it should not be there. We shouldn't have gotten rid of any
copyright information when the code was donated. The appropriate place
for any Copyright statements is the NOTICE file. In general, only the
copyright holder should move/remove copyright statements.
Conveniently, since you work for IBM, you can move them... ;-)

No need to maintain the EPL information from the Copyright statement.
The code is all, now, ASL V2.0. The specific copyright statement
"Copyright (c) 2005 IBM Corporation and others." should be moved to
the notice statement in the NOTICE file.

--kevan