geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Geronimo-JAMES integration
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:51:15 GMT
David Jencks ha scritto:
> On Jun 16, 2008, at 3:45 AM, Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>> David Jencks ha scritto:
>>> Another issue I came across is use of com.sun mail classes (I started
>>> by trying to use the geronimo mail provider before I understood why
>>> the stage repo wasn't working for me).  Is this intentional?  Are you
>>> interested in also supporting the geronimo mail implementation?
>>
>> It is intentional. Last time I checked it geronimo mail implementation
>> was not enough for our delivery needs. There is a lot to change and we
>> would probably stop using javamail at all, instead of supporting
>> geronimo implementation for the remote delivery task. This is only my
>> opinion, of course.
>
> When did you look :-) ?  I think its had a lot of bugs fixed and a lot
> more stuff implemented but I haven't followed it closely.

IIRC few months ago: the issue was with the smtpclient (to deliver mail)
and the "hidden" features (e.g: 8BITMIME) and specific exceptions (on
delivery failure for partial deliveries). We make use of many internal
things and we check for sun specific exceptions because the
specification itself is thought with MUA (mail clients) in mind and not
MDA (servers).

We also depend on com.sun.mail.util.CRLFOutputStream but we should
definitely replace this with some james class (maybe copied from geronimo?)

Stefano