geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: making plugins (plugins portlet) more visible in the console
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2008 19:13:05 GMT
Donald Woods wrote:
> OK, guess I selected a bad plugin to install from the list and assumed
> that they were all bad....
>
> I downloaded and installed a clean
> geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.1-bin.tar.gz
>
> Manually added the 2.1.1 plugin repo -
> http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins/geronimo-2.1.1/
>
> Selected the "Geronimo Plugins :: Monitoring Agent (JMX)" and it
> installed fine.
>
> If you select the "Geronimo Configs :: Servlet Examples for Tomcat
> 2.1-SNAPSHOT - Example" which shows up in the list, it will FAIL with -
> "A problem has occured:
> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.repository.MissingDependencyException: Plugin
> is not installable on Geronimo 2.1.1 Missing dependency:
> org.apache.geronimo.samples/servlet-examples-tomcat/2.1-SNAPSHOT/car"
>
> Guess we need to remove that plugin once we have the Samples updated and
> released for 2.1.

Ahh ... I think that when I was updating the catalog for 2.1.1 I left
the LDAP Sample Realm, LDAP Sample, JSP Example, and Servlet Example in
there because of the references from the welcome page.  Since they can
not be installed even with the entries I think we should just go ahead
and remove them completely from the 2.1.1 catalog.  This won't prevent
people from trying via the welcome page but it will prevent any attempts
from the catalog (if they take the time to switch to the 2.1.1 catalog
that is).  Is there any reason to keep these samples in the 2.1.1
catalog for now that I'm missing?  When/if we get samples deployed that
can be installed on 2.1.1 we can add the updated samples back into the
catalog.

This would really be a whole lot more manageable (and correct) if we
were to merge the samples back into the server and release them
concurrently.  I know several folks disagree but the current separation
has not yet been successful.

Joe