geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: making plugins (plugins portlet) more visible in the console
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:18:32 GMT
Lin Sun wrote:
> Joe, I ran some test against the 2.1.1 plugin repo 2 weeks ago and I
> could not install the sample plugins I tried - forgot the error/prob
> (think I tried the servlet and jsp samples).
>
> Lin

There is 1 problem here and a few misunderstandings based upon that problem:

Problem:
- The default for the plugin repo for Geronimo 2.1.1 is actually the
plugin repo for 2.1.  In order to see the Geronimo 2.1.1 plugin repo you
must manually add the repository.  See this thread for a discussion of
this issue:
http://www.nabble.com/plugin-repository-for-2.1.1-td16990905s134.html

The not yet released samples (2.1-SNAPSHOT) are tied to Geronimo 2.1 and
not Geronimo 2.1.1.  This is why I have been interested in getting
samples released for 2.1 and 2.1.1.  The 2.1-SNAPSHOT samples appear in
the 2.1 repository but not the 2.1.1 repository.  So, if you reference
the 2.1.1 repository you will not see the samples listed at all and not
encounter a problem on the install. Of course, that is tricky to do
since we show you the wrong repository by default in 2.1.1.

So, I think what happened was that you accessed the 2.1 repository from
a 2.1.1 server and attempted to install one of the sample plugins from
there.

There is one more problem that you or others may hit regarding attempts
to install samples in 2.1.1 at this time.  The servlet, jsp, and ldap
samples are referenced directly from default/welcome servlet (/) and can
optionally be installed from there.  An attempt to install them from
this location will also fail given that it is referencing the same
incorrect, default plugin repo for 2.1.

To summarize ... the 2.1.1 repo is not broken AFAIK (if it is broken
then we can easily fix it).  What is broken is that 2.1.1 references the
wrong plugin repo by default.  That problem will be fixed when we
release 2.1.2.

Joe