geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hernan Cunico <hcun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: sample applications
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2008 18:20:11 GMT
At this very moment I'm not being able to build the samples so I can't really comment on the
current binaries structure.

If the samples were not working I think we should have fixed the specific errors, same thing
goes for the docs. In previous releases, the samples worked.

I like the idea of having a Geronimo Best Practices section in the doc; but again, I would
rather have the samples as simple as possible. Stick to the very basics, what are the minimum
requirements any given application needs to run on Geronimo. Plugins is gravy on top. This
is just my very personal opinion.

A Best Practices section would be fantastic, it would also be great to have other sections
for creating specific plugins (configurations, applications, custom server assemblies, etc).
There is where I think would be best to have all these differentiating features in Geronimo.

My considerations with maven are just as arguable if you will and it's based on first impressions.
For example, building a very basic web sample app (let's say 1 jsp), it may take some time
to build depending connectivity speed and availability of the repos; actually the first few
times it is likely to fail. This last one in particular is why I can't build the samples at
this moment. 5th attempt now and failing at different intervals. If this is annoying to me,
it must be for others as well. So again, I think simple is better.

I was not suggesting to include the samples source and binaries in Confluence. I'm saying
that's what we had in the past and it was pretty easy for the readers to get the source and/or
binaries. I agree, neither the doc nor the sample code was perfect but those samples, AFAICT,
worked.

To get the source and binaries out of Confluence all we needed to do was to put the source
in svn, fix the issues with the code and docs and make the binaries available the same way
we do with the server binaries.

Sorry for keep repeating myself but I still don't see why we need to do such a huge transformation
to these very simple sample apps.

Cheers!
Hernan