geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hernan Cunico <hcun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxSAMPLES/index.html ?
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2008 23:02:29 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2008, at 2:14 PM, Hernan Cunico wrote:
>
>> I just re exported that GMOxSAMPLES space and now it should reflect
>> the latest updates from the other spaces
>>
>> The idea of this space was to have consolidated in one place
>> references (either links or the actual samples) for all the samples
>> available for Geronimo. This idea is prior to moving all samples to
>> svn or even using the templates for a consistent look and feel.
>> Creating this space was simply the first step towards standardizing
>> the samples.
>>
>> The way Confluence and the autoexport plugin works force us to run
>> manual exports of certain spaces. So far, we don't have a way to get
>> this automated.
>>
>> I would definitively not remove this space as it hold several sample
>> applications. As to adding a page telling where to look, that should
>> be addressed now with the manual export I just ran.
>>
>> Pls let me know if you still see content out of date.
>
> The list of samples for 2.1 does not resemble
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/sample-applications.html
>
> very closely as far as I can tell.

because it is not supposed to do so, it's supposed to list all (mostly children pages) sample
applications available for Geronimo organized by release.

> Instead of the link to the apparently-impossible-to-update
> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxSAMPLES/apache-geronimo-v21-samples.html could
> the top level page http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxSAMPLES/index.html just
> have links into the 2.1 documentation for samples and tutorials?

the purpose of this space was to consolidate all samples for all releases. If it would be
just for 2.1 then there would make no sense to keep this space.

>> Maybe we should consider different alternatives to the AE plugin to
>> generate a personalized HTML version. Long time ago we discussed about
>> expanding Hockey Pokey functionality with Jason Dillon, can't really
>> remember were we left the conversation.
>
> I think we have more documentation and general doc infrastructure than
> we can take care of, and I'd like to see us concentrate more on
> correctness than size and flashy features.  Having fewer confluence
> spaces with content seems to me like one place to start.

I agree with with for the most part. http://cwiki.apache.org/geronimo/geronimo-cwiki-documentation-architecture.html
shows 15 spaces and their descriptions.
8 of them are exclusively dedicated to server documentation by release (geronimo, GMOxDOC10..21,
plus translations)
1 for authoring the web site (GMOxSITE)
1 for TCK matters (GMOxTCK)
1 for keep track of what we do (GMOxPMGT)
1 for Geronimo development and building (GMOxDEV). Could use some housekeeping
1 for FAQ (GMOxKB). Not many updates lately.
1 documentation sandbox (GMOxSBOX)
1 for holding/consolidating all samples (GMOxSAMPLES)

I'm not sure which one I would nuke if I have to. The fact is that this list will continue
to grow as we deliver new releases. I don't really see unnecessary spaces.

I totally agree with you in focusing on the content (relevance and accuracy). For 2.1 doc
I saw a lot more folks chiming in, so a big thanks to everybody who looked into it. If we
make this a habit, keeping the doc complete and up to date will be a lot easier.

Cheers!
Hernan