geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Server Repository plugin for Geronimo 2.1.1
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2008 21:28:10 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>

>> I'm canceling this vote to address the version issues.
>>
>> I will do one of the following based on how things go:
>> - Don't specify a G version in the plugin (as is the case now) and
>> include artifact-alias entries to resolve Geronimo dependencies ...
>> hopefully resulting in a plugin that can be installed on any Geronimo
>> 2.1* server (it will probably be "installable" on 2.0* servers as well
>> but I suspect the installation would fail).
>
> wouldn't this require knowing all possible future geronimo versions?
> I think a more plausible alternative would be coming up with a
> "compatibility plugin" that has the aliases to convert from one g.
> version to another, and checking that this plugin will install on a
> 2.1.2-SNAPSHOT and possibly 2.2-SNAPSHOT server that already has such a
> compat-plugin installed.
>
> So, while I'm not sure any changes are needed in this plugin, I think it
> would be a good idea to make sure we do have a path to running it in
> later servers.

I agree that we need a general solution.

However, I thinking of a more specific solution for this plugin so
better understand our alternatives since this one is fairly simple (with
just one geronimo dependency).

I was thinking of doing the following:
- completely omitting the includeVersion configuration for the
car-maven-plugin so that it theoretically be installed on any Geronimo
version.
- Adding an artifact-alias entry to the car-maven-plugin configuration
so that the resultant geronimo-plugin.xml would include a mapping.  I
tried adding this mapping:
<artifact-alias
key="org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/${geronimoVersion}/car">org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system//car</artifact-alias>

My hope was that this would work for 2.1, 2.1.1, 2.1.2-SNAPSHOT and
2.2-SNAPSHOT by mapping the 2.1.1 dependency of the j2ee-system car to
any version that could be found in the server repo (ie. the one that is
installed for that version).  I knew that it would fail installation on
2.0* since the groupId for j2ee-system changed between 2.0 & 2.1.
However, for some reason the entry isn't getting included in the
resultant geronimo-plugin.xml.  I might be barking up the wrong tree
anyway.  Should it be possible to do what I was trying even if it isn't
optimal?

Joe

> I'm also fine with the 1.0 version on it.
>
> thanks
> david jencks
>>
>> --OR--
>> - Include the Geronimo version to limit the plugin to G 2.1.1
>>

>> Joe
>>

>> Joe Bohn wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> As a result of some discussion on GERONIMO-2814
>>> [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2814] it was
>>> suggested that we create a plugin to facilitate adding a second
>>> repository to Geronimo.  This is of particular value when running
>>> multiple Geronimo server instances from a single Geronimo installation.
>>> I have created a very simple plugin for this purpose.  For more
>>> information on how this might be leveraged reference
>>> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/multiple-repositories.html
>>> Staging repo:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~jbohn/staging-repo/plugins/server-repo/
>>> Staging site: