geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Server Repository plugin for Geronimo 2.1.1
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2008 15:30:03 GMT
Well ... this is certainly something to discuss ... perhaps a bit larger
than this plugin in scope.

As way of background ... the motivation for the plugin was to close out
a discussion (and JIRA) that was nearly a year old.  At the time (and in
subsequent recent discussions) it decided that this simple plugin would
provide one solution for users that wanted to share a common Geronimo
installation image and have server specific instances each controlling
it's own set of deployed applications.  See GERONIMO-2814
 > [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2814] for details.  I
think this plugin (and the wiki notes) provide a manageable but
certainly not optimal solution for the desired configuration.

Considering a default split between repositories for system vs. server
use by default (even if only a single Geronimo server is running from an
installation) is a much broader issue and requires more consensus from
the community.

Is it your opinion that we should not release this plugin and tackle
this larger issue?

I'd be interested in hearing other opinions on this point.

It seems that this simple plugin is becoming a hot-bed for several large
issues ... plugin version management, repository structure/management
... what's next?  :-)

Joe