geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Server Repository plugin for Geronimo 2.1.1
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2008 15:11:56 GMT
Joe Bohn wrote:

> Kevan Miller wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 5, 2008, at 11:07 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>>
>>> Start of thread to discuss any concerns/issues/questions with the
>>> vote for the Server Repository plugin for Geronimo 2.1.1
>>
>> I'm inclined to vote -1. Nothing to do with the plugin, per se. It
>> looks fine. It's really a server issue...
>>
>> Using a 2.1.2-SNAPSHOT server, the plugin is evaluated as
>> "Installable". However, the plugin won't install because of a
>> dependency on 2.1.1 artifacts. I think we need to demonstrate that we
>> can handle this simple migration scenario, before releasing any more
>> plugins.
>>
>> --kevan
>
> I understand your concern but I don't buy the logic of a -1 vote on the
> plugin.  So we should not release a plugin for 2.1.1 that works fine on
> 2.1.1 because of a concern with the 2.1.2-SNAPSHOT server which is not
> even yet released?  It seems to me like your issue would really be with
> the 2.1.2 server when that eventually goes up for vote.

Hmm ... perhaps this is a concern with the plugin itself.  The reason
that the plugin is eligible to be installed on 2.1.2-SNAPSHOT (and even
2.2-SNAPSHOT for that matter) is because I didn't include the
car-maven-plugin config "includeVersion" set to true.  Had this been set
the plugin would be marked as not installable in other Geronimo releases
... hence no concern.  I think I left this off because I way
experimenting with the this attribute for the version compatibility issues.

So ... if this is a concern then perhaps we should spin a new plugin
image with strict Geronimo version checking for the plugin.  Now the
question is ... "Should I make this simple change and respin the
existing plugin of should we tackle the larger version issue as Kevan
suggests using this plugin as a proof point?

Joe