geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r660588 [1/3] - in /geronimo/samples/trunk: ./ samples/ samples/CustomerService/CustomerService-ear/ samples/CustomerService/CustomerService-ear/src/main/resources/ samples/CustomerService/CustomerService-ear/src/main/resources/META-INF/ sa...
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2008 21:19:35 GMT

David,

I see in this change (one sample shown below but changed on nearly all
samples) that you removed the prereq on tomcat/jetty from the respective
plugins.

I understand that you did this so that the samples could be installed in
just a framework server (esp. for the integration tests).

However, I wonder if this is a good move for the user.  With this
change, a user viewing the sample plugins available for install on a
jetty server instance will see all of the jetty sample plugins and all
the tomcat sample plugins marked ready to install.  Likewise, all of the
jetty plugins are available for installation on a tomcat server image.

The framework case is not a common case for installing these samples (at
least I suspect it is not for most users).  Most users will use the more
popular tomcat or jetty assemblies.  If they choose to install a sample
plugin for tomcat on a jetty server I suspect they would end up with 2
web containers in the server image and many problems.  Is that correct?
  Perhaps we should add the pre-reqs back in (at least for samples) and
update the integration tests to use just one web container?  What do you
think?

Joe

djencks@apache.org wrote:
<snip/>

> Modified: geronimo/samples/trunk/samples/CustomerService/CustomerService-jetty/pom.xml
> --- geronimo/samples/trunk/samples/CustomerService/CustomerService-jetty/pom.xml (original)
> +++ geronimo/samples/trunk/samples/CustomerService/CustomerService-jetty/pom.xml Tue
May 27 09:29:53 2008

<snip/>
                       <category>Sample</category>
>                      <instance>
>                          <plugin-artifact>
> -                            <prerequisite>
> -                                <id>
> -                                    <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.configs</groupId>
> -                                    <artifactId>jetty6</artifactId>
> -                                </id>
> -                                <resource-type>Web Container</resource-type>
> -                                <description>
> -                                    This version of the application works with the Geronimo/Jetty
distribution.
> -                                    It is not intended to run in the Geronimo/Tomcat
distribution.
> -                                    There is a separate version of the application that
works with Tomcat.
> -                                    Please install the version appropriate to your Geronimo
distribution.
> -                                </description>
> -                            </prerequisite>
> +                            <!--<prerequisite>-->
> +                                <!--<id>-->
> +                                    <!--<groupId>org.apache.geronimo.configs</groupId>-->
> +                                    <!--<artifactId>jetty6</artifactId>-->
> +                                <!--</id>-->
> +                                <!--<resource-type>Web Container</resource-type>-->
> +                                <!--<description>-->
> +                                    <!--This version of the application works with
the Geronimo/Jetty distribution. -->
> +                                    <!--It is not intended to run in the Geronimo/Tomcat
distribution. -->
> +                                    <!--There is a separate version of the application
that works with Tomcat. -->
> +                                    <!--Please install the version appropriate to
your Geronimo distribution.-->
> +                                <!--</description> -->
> +                            <!--</prerequisite>-->

<snip/>