geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r660588 [1/3] - in /geronimo/samples/trunk: ./ samples/ samples/CustomerService/CustomerService-ear/ samples/CustomerService/CustomerService-ear/src/main/resources/ samples/CustomerService/CustomerService-ear/src/main/resources/META-INF/ sa...
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2008 23:25:26 GMT

On Jun 2, 2008, at 2:19 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> David,
>
> I see in this change (one sample shown below but changed on nearly
> all samples) that you removed the prereq on tomcat/jetty from the
> respective plugins.
>
> I understand that you did this so that the samples could be
> installed in just a framework server (esp. for the integration tests).
>
> However, I wonder if this is a good move for the user.  With this
> change, a user viewing the sample plugins available for install on a
> jetty server instance will see all of the jetty sample plugins and
> all the tomcat sample plugins marked ready to install.  Likewise,
> all of the jetty plugins are available for installation on a tomcat
> server image.
>
> The framework case is not a common case for installing these samples
> (at least I suspect it is not for most users).  Most users will use
> the more popular tomcat or jetty assemblies.  If they choose to
> install a sample plugin for tomcat on a jetty server I suspect they
> would end up with 2 web containers in the server image and many
> problems.  Is that correct?

yes (although I haven't personally tried it)

>  Perhaps we should add the pre-reqs back in (at least for samples)
> and update the integration tests to use just one web container?
> What do you think?

I think we should keep it as it is.  I think the most common use for
the samples might be running the servers assembled in  the *-jetty/
target directories that have the apps installed. no muss no fuss.

This is a generic problem we have for all plugins, not just the
samples.  I don't see why we should make the samples more restricted
than for instance the console plugins.

thanks
david jencks