geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: ASF hosted machines for TCK testing
Date Fri, 16 May 2008 18:47:45 GMT

On May 15, 2008, at 8:31 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

>> Well, you can't donate to 'Geronimo' per se only to the ASF. I
>> wasn't involved directly in this, but I believe the heritage for
>> the machines is AMD -> IBM. IBM people used the machines for their
>> geronimo work (including GBuild).
>
> I worked with AMD to acquire these systems.  When we got the systems
> from AMD they agreed to provide them for the use of the GBuild
> project and were never in a corporate owner's asset list.  I
> provided AMD with the ship to address (which I think was David
> Blevins) so continuing to use them for the Geronimo is totally in
> line with what the original intention was.
>
> I think the machines would be fine except that they are now about 4-
> years old and had some issues that Jason struggled with so they may
> not be highly dependable.  As far as Lights Out Management I suspect
> that the this means that we would likely plug them into a remote
> power management unit so they can be power cycled remotely and not
> require any manual intervention.  I don't know if these machines
> would qualify for that kind of support.  We'll need to investigate
> that.
>
> Is someone tracking them down and do we have a current inventory on
> what they are?

Just a note on these AMD machines, butters and bebe.  They're still in
the US Simula (now Exist) colo and unless we have another place to put
them they'll eventually be shipped off to Hong Kong where the new
Exist colo is.  They're still up and running, just have no public IPs.

The two Dell U1 servers (stan and kyle)  I own are sitting in my
closet and I'd be happy to hand them over to the ASF.  I offered them
before, but the lack of power in the cage was really the issue.  Happy
to throw them back into the pot if we can get that worked out.

-David