geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Webapp-based Tuscany/Geronimo integration in Tuscany SCA Java 1.2 release
Date Fri, 16 May 2008 15:45:27 GMT
Hi Raymond,
One minor netiquette comment... Looks like you used a "Reply To"
button when generating your note (then changed the subject line). Some
mail readers will still group your email in the previous email thread
(one example is Mac OS X Mail). This can cause emails to be lost/cause
confusion. So, it's best to avoid...

More below.

On May 15, 2008, at 1:52 PM, Raymond Feng wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the recently released Tuscany SCA Java 1.2 [1], we produce a
> whitepaper [2] to describe webapp-based Tuscany/Geronimo
> integration. We would like to share the information here and hope it
> can trigger more interests from both Geronimo and Tuscany community
> to bring more values into these areas collaboratively.

Thanks!

> Developing SOA based solutions can be very complex and expensive.
> Apache Tuscany provides a lightweight infrastructure which enables
> users to easily implement SOA based solutions or to use
> their existing assets and align them with SOA principles which would
> support a business model that can extend and expand as business
> needs change.
>
> Apache Tuscany implements SCA specifications that is being
> standardized at OASIS. Tuscany provides the capabilities to
> construct, assemble and deploy composite applications using SCA.
>
> This white paper explains how Tuscany integrates with Apache
> Geronimo, a fully certified Java EE 5 application server runtime, to
> provide added value to users wanting to develop SOA solutions using
> Geronimo as a platform. The added values include:
>
> * Extensibility of component implementation technologies
> * Extensibility of transport and protocol abstractions
> * A notion of cross-application/cross-network assembly and
> configuration
> * Integration of SCA with existing or new EJB based applications
>
> The following are a set of usage scenarios that both JEE and SCA
> developers could be interested in.
>
> * Access SCA composites from Java EE components using JEE
> programming model
> * Access session beans from SCA service components
> * Expose SCA services as session beans or web services
> * Include Session Beans in a single SCA composition by providing an
> SCA implementation for session beans.
> * Inject SCA service references to web components to enable Web 2.0
> * Expose enterprise applications into an SCA domain
> * Use recursive SCA assembly in enterprise applications
>
> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/sca-java-releases.html
> [2] http://cwiki.apache.org/TUSCANYWIKI/tuscany-web-application-based-integration-with-geronimo.html

Is there interest in tighter integration between Tuscany/Geronimo?
Would there be interest in generating a Tuscany Plugin for Geronimo?
Running Tuscany as a service?

--kevan