geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Release process questions
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 16:02:03 GMT

On May 12, 2008, at 8:05 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:

>>> Actually, I did think of one addition concern with our current
>>> numbering and using the maven release plugin.  If we only use 2
>>> digit version numbers for major releases then we would end up with
>>> tags/2.2 and branches/2.2.   This may be a point of confusion when
>>> looking at our svn repos (and I suspect the reason that we have
>>> tags/2.1.0 rather than tags/2.1 right now).  NOTE:  I have not yet
>>> looked into the how the version is specified with the maven-
>>> release-plugin.  Perhaps we can specify the release version and
>>> the tag version independently in which case I could name the
>>> appropriately via the plugin.
>>>
>> Wouldn't we end up with server/branches/2.2 and server/tags/
>> geronimo-parent-2.2?  These seem sufficiently distinct to me to
>> avoid confusion.
>
> hmmm .... now I'm confused.  What is server/tags/geronimo-parent and
> why would it replace server/tags/2.2?

The release plugin generates tags named like <project-name>-<release-
version>.  I might have the geronimo-parent name wrong.

> Actually, since this is really a discussion about samples, how would
> we not end up with samples/branches/2.1 and samples/tags/2.1 (where
> the branches continually used for 2.1.x releases and tags is the 2.1
> release) if there is not a way to specify the artifact release
> version independently from the tag release version?  What am I
> missing?
>
> I suspect the naming issue is why we named the tag sever/tags/2.1.0
> when we released Geronimo 2.1 so that the tag would have a different
> version number from the branch that was to continue, server/branches/
> 2.1.

I suspect that it  was due to the process used instead of the release
plugin, which IIUC involved making a release branch and then moving it
to tags.  Such a branch needs a different name than what it is copied
from.  If we were to use the release plugin this would be unnecessary.

thanks
david jencks