geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ASF hosted machines for TCK testing
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 14:59:51 GMT

On May 12, 2008, at 6:05 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> All,
>
> We have discussed in the past the idea of getting some ASF hosted
> machines that we can use to run and share TCK test results for
> Geronimo.  With more folks coming on board running TCK tests this
> seems to be getting more and more important.  It would also be great
> if we could get some of the automation working again on these
> dedicated machines ... but I think we need to secure some machines
> first.  For now, I think we should just get something we can share
> for Geronimo with an eye toward possible sharing across other ASF
> projects in the future.
>
> Some recent discussions with infra indicate that the Geronimo PMC
> needs to submit a proposal for these machines if we ever hope to get
> some. The proposal must meet the criteria listed below in addition
> to some more obvious things such as the number and specifications of
> the machines. The Geronimo PMC must approve and then make the
> request to ASF infra but we can discuss the requirements here and
> formulate the proposal.  Please jump in if you have opinions on the
> specs and number of machines.  Keep in mind that we need to keep
> this request reasonable if we have a hope of getting it accepted.  I
> also imagine that we'll have to volunteer some people to help manage
> these machines .... volunteers?
>
> I'll start to put together a proposal with your input and when we
> think it is complete enough I'll forward it to the PMC for further
> action.
>
> The sooner we can get this proposal pulled together the better off
> we'll be.
>
> Does anybody have a sample proposal for something similar from
> infra? I'm not sure how detailed this proposal must be.

Joe,
This would be fantastic. Thanks for starting this discussion. Our
GBuild hosting infrastructure is no more. And we're overly reliant on
the machines running in Matt's basement.

IIRC, you've been keeping 2 machines pretty busy running CTS tests.
So, at an absolute minimum, I think we'd need 2 beefy multi-core
machines. Preferably, we'd have 3-4. With a stable hardware and
hosting environment, I think we could get an automated test system up
and running reliably. If we can use multiple VM images to concurrently
run tests, we'd be able to make better use of the hardware (with
faster turn-around of tests).

--kevan