geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why no Debian package of Geronimo
Date Sat, 17 May 2008 22:24:33 GMT

On May 17, 2008, at 5:07 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On May 17, 2008, at 4:20 PM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:
>
>> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 10:36 AM, jontto <jontto@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I could not find a Debian package of Geronimo, is there any
>>> particular
>>> reason for this or has it just not got done yet?
>>
>> The latter is the answer I guess. Nobody took care of it yet. Would
>> you mind? Report a task in JIRA and work on it.
>>

> I'd like to know what this involves and why this is a good idea
> before anyone spends much time on it.  I don't think we want to
> encourage anyone to adopt a non-standard server layout without a
> good reason, and without this I'd expect any packaging to consist of
> the tar.gz server distro.  Now there's the question, which one.....
> we have about 5 now.

I don't think this is so much looking for a non-standard server
layout, but a standard server layout in a Debian-specific package
format with additional Debian specific meta-data. If somebody wants to
spend time on this, they are welcome to (naturally)... However, it's
another matter if they want to start checking in code... ;-) I'm not
so sure that we want to become a source for linux distribution package
formats. Seems like we could spend a fair amount of time running down
Linux distribution specific package formats (e.g. SuSe, RedHat,
Debian, Ubuntu, etc).

> I guess something that almost makes sense to be would be a "server
> construction kit" consisting of a geronimo plugin repository
> together with the framework server so that you could assemble
> servers of your choice.  I think this is pretty different in
> philosophy from most debian packages however.

Well we already have that in a form... A full java ee server can
assemble servers of user's choosing. Would agree that we should
consider methods of building up servers (or more dynamically starting
server components). I view that as orthogonal to any linux
distribution packaging we might do...

--kevan