geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Release process questions
Date Mon, 12 May 2008 17:06:55 GMT
I may not be understanding the issues here..... if so please point
this out.

On May 12, 2008, at 9:00 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> The new release process [1] generally assumes that we are releasing
> from  trunk and always bumps the version number up by one.

Those are not intended to be assumptions :-)  Maybe bad writing.

> However, for things like samples we want to keep version numbers
> consistent with the Geronimo Server versions and as such we would
> need to release from branches.  So here are some questions:
>
> #1 Can we follow the new release process from a branch (geronimo/
> samples/branches/2.1) rather than trunk?  I think this should work.
> Anybody know of any issues?

I'm pretty sure this should work fine, I did something very similar
with activemq 4.1.2

> #2 Releasing from branches/2.1 would result in the versions in the
> branch being updated to 2.2-SNAPSHOT and a tag/2.1 release (I
> think). However, we want the branch to live on as a 2.1.* branch ...
> so I assume that I could just manually update the versions to 2.1.1-
> SNAPSHOT from 2.2-SNAPSHOT.  Likewise, I would rename the tag from
> tags/2.1 to tags/2.1.0.  Does anybody see a problem with this (see
> #3 for another idea)?  After the initial jump from the 2 digit
> version to the 3 digit version things should work normally for
> future releases.

I like what activemq does more and more.  With numbers transposed to
match our versions, they keep the branch in branches/2.1, the branch
version at 2.1-SNAPSHOT, and release 2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.1.3, ... from
this branch.  You just need to fill in the 2.1.x release version and
2.1-SNAPSHOT branch version when you run mvn release:prepare.  Even if
we dont keep the version at 2.1-SNAPSHOT but update it to 2.1.(x+1)-
SNAPSHOT I think the branch name in svn should continue to be branches/
2.1

> #3 The previous question makes me wonder if we should be following
> consistent 2 or 3 digit version numbers for projects which should
> eliminate the need for the renames.  Should Geronimo 2.1 (and hence
> Geronimo Samples for 2.1) have been versioned 2.1.0 rather than
> 2.1.  It seems that is the version number we adopted for the server
> tag which is called tags/2.1.0.  It would make it possible to use
> the maven-release plugin for major versions as well as minor
> versions.  The branch would still be branches/2.1 but the version
> for the poms would be 2.1.x-SNAPSHOT as we currently do for server
> branches/2.1.  Thoughts? If we adopted this strategy we would also
> want to revision server trunk from 2.2-SNAPSHOT to 2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.

I think anything we do that isn't from the release plugin should be
ignored as guidance.  I think the release plugin creates tags like
<project-name>-<release-version> under tags.  This is fine IMNSHO.

At the moment I'd prefer that our releases be numbered 2.2, 2.2.1,
2.2.2,... rather than 2.2.0, 2.2.1, ...  I don't understand what
renames you are proposing or why they would be needed.

I wonder if we could remove the old release instructions from the wiki?

thanks
david jencks