geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ASF hosted machines for TCK testing
Date Thu, 15 May 2008 17:26:00 GMT

On May 15, 2008, at 12:04 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> I did a quick search on the web for what it would take to build two
> systems.  Here is the initial SWAG.
>
> SuperMicro CSE-825S2-R700LPV U2 Rackmountable eATX Case (700W PSU,
> Silver)		$750 x  2 = $1500
> Sony DRU190A 20X DVD Rewritable Drive - 20x DVD±R
> $40 x   2 =        80
> Dynatron H53G 2U CPU Heatsink For Intel Xeon											 $50 x   4
> =      200
> Memory  - 2GB DDR2 667 ECC Fully Buffered											 $80 x 16 =   1280
> Disk -  Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD7500AYYS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB
> Cache SATA		$200 x 4  =     800
>
> Here is a SWAG at what we'd need to put two 8-core 16GB systems with
> logical mirroring 750GB storage.  The cost is $3860 from the above.
> I'd round up to $4000 for tax, shipping, etc.
>
> We might be able to buy other systems for a lower  price point.
> I've rounded to be conservative on cost.   I would Run Linux with
> Xen and 4 VM's per server which would give us 8 server instances to
> work from.

Cool. As long as Infra can pick them up and manage them, that's great.

In the past, we've always run into hardware/management issues in the
colo's that we've run the machines in. IMO, the more "standard" we are
the more likely that Infra will be able to administer/repair these
machines. Fewer headaches all the way around.

--kevan