geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo request for ASF hosted machines
Date Sun, 25 May 2008 21:48:12 GMT
On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
> I assume building out a new data center is something we will need to do,
> regardless? These machines would put us over the tipping point?

No, not really - we're scheduled to get more power at OSU OSL in the
late fall timeframe.  That said, I don't think it makes sense to delay
it until then if we can, plus we've been discussing a smaller co-lo
facility for build boxes off and on in the past.  So, I think we're
willing to take this on.

> I assume Ubuntu is the preferred Linux distribution for Infra? I don't have
> any experience with it. I see that they choose KVM as their virtualization
> technology. From a quick look, seems that Xen support is not too great. My
> guess is that we can make Ubuntu/KVM work, but we should do some
> investigating. I think G community members are more familiar with Suse, Red
> Hat, and Xen.

The infra team strongly prefers Ubuntu, so if it's possible for the G
community members to investigate whether Ubuntu would satisfy their
needs, then infrastructure can start doing the ground work for
procuring the machines.  -- justin