geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo request for ASF hosted machines
Date Fri, 23 May 2008 23:54:57 GMT
On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Joe Bohn <joe.bohn@earthlink.net> wrote:
> The Geronimo PMC would like to make the following request of the ASF
> Infrastructure team.  The request is specifically for machines to be used
> for collaboration and support of our certification efforts.  This is an
> extremely extensive set of tests that require significant computing
> resources, often not available to most community members.
>
> Thank you for your consideration of this request.  We will gladly answer any
> questions or provide additional information.
>

> Rationale:
> The Apache Geronimo community has a need to support the execution and
> sharing of results from Sun certification tests (cts) which are necessary
> gain JavaEE5 certification compliance.  This information is only available
> to those Geronimo committers that have signed the Sun NDA and other Apache
> committers that have signed an NDA and gained approval of the Apache
> Geronimo PMC.  This has allowed other Apache projects to test new
> products/releases by running JavaEE 5 TCK tests using the Apache Geronimo
> test infrastructure.
>
> In the past these resource intensive tests have been run on private machines
> by individuals.  As more people become involved with Apache Geronimo and
> related projects, it is becoming obvious that we need a central system to
> run and share the results of these tests.  A centralized testing environment
> allows the Geronimo community to more fully participate in the TCK process.
> Some committers don't have access to the hardware resources needed to run
> the Java EE TCK tests in a timely manner. Although some ad-hoc sharing of
> private machines has occurred, this is not ideal from a community
> perspective. Community controlled systems allow us to equitably share these
> resources.
>
> Request:
> To fulfill this requirement, the Apache Geronimo PMC is requesting the ASF
> infrastructure team to provide and host machines that can be used for this
> purpose.  Initially, we would like to request two (2) machines that meet (as
> closely as possible) the specification below.  However, we can see the need
> for 2 additional machines in the not too distant future.

To fill in others, Joe B. and I have talked about this before - so
this doesn't come as a surprise to me.  I've informed Joe that our
current data center does not have space for any new machines, so this
will require a build-out of a new data center.  (Joe S. has looked
into this and it's about $500/mo for the data center that he houses
his personal setup at; we also know that we'd have to build out the
new data center - which we'd have to gather the costs for as well.)

Have we determined whether the machines would be donated, or do we
need to purchase them?

To give you an idea, to meet the specs you outlined for a Dell
PowerEdge 1950 III is about $4500/machine (and that's at 2.5GHz not
3.0GHz - see below).  We may be able to negotiate a lower price with
our Dell sales rep, but that's the ballpark figure per machine.

Given that amount, I'd probably want to run authorization of these
machines by the Board once we settle upon a final proposal and cost.
So, it may take until the next Board meeting before I can get final
approval.

> Machine specs:
> - 8 core (two 3.0 GHz quad-core)

How set is the 3.0GHz specification?  The cost difference between,
say, the 2.5GHz (E5420) and 3.0GHz (E5450) is at least $1000/machine
extra.  IMO, I doubt it is worth the differential.

> - 16 GB memory
> - two 750GB 7200 - rpm SATA 3GB/s disks

In a RAID1 (mirrored config) or striped?

> - DVD R/W (20x?)

Does it really need to have DVD R/W?  (Dell doesn't even sell a DVD RW
in their PowerEdge series.)

> - rack mountable specification to work with ASF infra requirements
> - LOM or other features as necessary for ASF infra support
> - to be developer managed and maintained by the Apache Geronimo Team
>  - Apache Geronimo would assume all responsibility for:
>     - configuration
>     - backup/recovery
>     - secure access
>        - Strictly limited to those Apache Geronimo committers with NDAs on
> file or additional Apache committers with NDAs and approved by Geronimo PMC.
>  - full, admin access would be granted to ASF infra with reboot directions
>  - At least 2 active Apache Geronimo committers (with NDA authorization)
> would identified to manage the machines.
> - Running Linux with something like Xen for 4 VM images per machine.  We may
> increase the number of VM images if it is feasible.

Is Ubuntu 8.04 sufficient, or does something special need to happen
for Xen?  (I haven't looked into Xen lately.)

>  - We would require both ssh and VNC access to the VMs.

I don't know if or how Xen supports VNC, but I guess so...  =)

>  - It is not yet decided if we would use NAT to access the VMs or public IP
> addresses.  Is there are recommendation from ASF Infra?

It depends how secure the Xen instances are.

If we need to have a partitioned network, we may need to get an extra
switch and stuff.

> - Automation will most likely be added to run builds, execute tests, and
> produce reports.
> - Capability to manually run tests on demand would also be supported.

Thanks.  -- justin