geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Geronimo request for ASF hosted machines
Date Fri, 23 May 2008 18:08:26 GMT
The Geronimo PMC would like to make the following request of the ASF
Infrastructure team.  The request is specifically for machines to be
used for collaboration and support of our certification efforts.  This
is an extremely extensive set of tests that require significant
computing resources, often not available to most community members.

Thank you for your consideration of this request.  We will gladly answer
any questions or provide additional information.

Rationale:
The Apache Geronimo community has a need to support the execution and
sharing of results from Sun certification tests (cts) which are
necessary gain JavaEE5 certification compliance.  This information is
only available to those Geronimo committers that have signed the Sun NDA
and other Apache committers that have signed an NDA and gained approval
of the Apache Geronimo PMC.  This has allowed other Apache projects to
test new products/releases by running JavaEE 5 TCK tests using the
Apache Geronimo test infrastructure.

In the past these resource intensive tests have been run on private
machines by individuals.  As more people become involved with Apache
Geronimo and related projects, it is becoming obvious that we need a
central system to run and share the results of these tests.  A
centralized testing environment allows the Geronimo community to more
fully participate in the TCK process. Some committers don't have access
to the hardware resources needed to run the Java EE TCK tests in a
timely manner. Although some ad-hoc sharing of private machines has
occurred, this is not ideal from a community perspective. Community
controlled systems allow us to equitably share these resources.

Request:
To fulfill this requirement, the Apache Geronimo PMC is requesting the
ASF infrastructure team to provide and host machines that can be used
for this purpose.  Initially, we would like to request two (2) machines
that meet (as closely as possible) the specification below.  However, we
can see the need for 2 additional machines in the not too distant future.

Machine specs:
- 8 core (two 3.0 GHz quad-core)
- 16 GB memory
- two 750GB 7200 - rpm SATA 3GB/s disks
- DVD R/W (20x?)
- rack mountable specification to work with ASF infra requirements
- LOM or other features as necessary for ASF infra support
- to be developer managed and maintained by the Apache Geronimo Team
   - Apache Geronimo would assume all responsibility for:
      - configuration
      - backup/recovery
      - secure access
         - Strictly limited to those Apache Geronimo committers with
NDAs on file or additional Apache committers with NDAs and approved by
Geronimo PMC.
   - full, admin access would be granted to ASF infra with reboot directions
   - At least 2 active Apache Geronimo committers (with NDA
authorization) would identified to manage the machines.
- Running Linux with something like Xen for 4 VM images per machine.  We
may increase the number of VM images if it is feasible.
   - We would require both ssh and VNC access to the VMs.
   - It is not yet decided if we would use NAT to access the VMs or
public IP addresses.  Is there are recommendation from ASF Infra?
- Automation will most likely be added to run builds, execute tests, and
produce reports.
- Capability to manually run tests on demand would also be supported.

Admin Volunteers:
   - Joe Bohn (PMC)
   - Jay McHugh (PMC)
   - Jason Warner
   - Matt Hogstrom (PMC)
   - Kevan Miller (PMC)

Vote results demonstrating PMC approval of this request can be found here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@geronimo.apache.org/msg60422.html