geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r658264 - in /geronimo/samples/trunk/samples: ./ CustomerService/ bank/ calculator-stateless-pojo/ dbtester/ inventory/ jaxws-calculator/ jms-mdb-sample/ ldap-sample-app/ myphonebook/ mytime/ sendmail/ servlet-examples/ timereport/
Date Tue, 20 May 2008 18:20:52 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> On May 20, 2008, at 12:38 PM, Donald Woods wrote:
>
>> Guess we should rethink the whole private repository model.  Maybe we
>> need to move it to its own location in svn and have it contain depends
>> for all releases (much like openejb has been doing), so we can
>> reference it as a repo for sample (and other plugin) builds....
>> Otherwise, if we tell users that they have to build the server first,
>> then very few will ever be willing to rebuild the samples, IMO.
>>
>> Also, if Samples rely upon privately pinned depends, then how could we
>> expect to only release Sample 2.1 and have it work with 2.1.1, 2.1.2,
>> 2.1.x, knowing that some depend versions have or will likely change in
>> future releases?
>>

> Maybe I'm misunderstanding what's going on but the only problem I can
> see is the one pointed out by dan kulp -- until you have the samples
> parent pom in your local repo there is no way to get it there since its
> ancestors have the apache.snapshots definition.  Once you have this
> defined AFAICT all the other stuff you need is in that apache.snapshots
> repo.  As noted in another mail my preferred way to deal with this is by
> saying you have to build all the samples together at least once before
> you can build just one.
>
> Once we release the samples anyone wanting to build a released version
> of a single sample from code will not have this problem because all the
> required dependencies should be in the maven central repo which is
> available without any configuration.
>
> Am I missing something?  I don't see how this relates to our repository
> project in server at all.

The problem with svn repo is the same as it is with any project that has
dependencies on certain Geronimo configurations.   If you just attempt
to build samples with a clean repo you will see it.

IIRC it comes down to maven attempting to resolve all dependencies.
Somewhere along the path we end up with a dependency on a component from
Geronimo (such as the tomcat car) that has dependencies on an svn repo
elements (such as our private catalina build)  which cannot be loaded
from any public repo.  Perhaps this just recently became an issue as we
introduced plugins for each sample?

Joe