geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject [VOTE] ASF hosted machines for TCK Proposal
Date Tue, 20 May 2008 12:22:16 GMT
If we are to take this proposal forward to the ASF Infrastructure team,
they want assurance that the Geronimo PMC is behind the recommendation
and  supports the intended use of the systems. I think it also bodes
well to demonstrate that the entire Geronimo community stands behind the
proposal, particularly since we will administer the machines ourselves,
  - so I encourage all to vote.

[ ] +1 I agree with the need and support the proposal. Present it to the
ASF Infrastructure team.
[ ] 0 No opinion
[ ] -1 I don't see the need or disagree with the proposal. Do not
present this proposal to the ASF Infrastructure team.

I'll plan on calling this vote on Friday (5/23) morning (9 AM EST).

PROPOSAL

Rationale:
The Apache Geronimo community has a need to support the execution and
sharing of results from Sun certification tests (cts) which are
necessary gain JavaEE5 certification compliance.  This information is
only available to those Geronimo committers that have signed the Sun NDA
and other Apache committers that have signed an NDA and gained approval
of the Apache Geronimo PMC.  This has allowed other Apache projects to
test new products/releases by running JavaEE 5 TCK tests using the
Apache Geronimo test infrastructure.

In the past these resource intensive tests have been run on private
machines by individuals.  As more people become involved with Apache
Geronimo and related projects, it is becoming obvious that we need a
central system to run and share the results of these tests.  A
centralized testing environment allows the Geronimo community to more
fully participate in the TCK process. Some committers don't have access
to the hardware resources needed to run the Java EE TCK tests in a
timely manner. Although some ad-hoc sharing of private machines has
occurred, this is not ideal from a community perspective. Community
controlled systems allow us to equitably share these resources.

Request:
To fulfill this requirement, the Apache Geronimo PMC is requesting the
ASF infrastructure team to provide and host machines that can be used
for this purpose.  Initially, we would like to request two (2) machines
that meet (as closely as possible) the specification below.  However, we
can see the need for 2 additional machines in the not too distant future.

Machine specs:
- 8 core (two 3.0 GHz quad-core)
- 16 GB memory
- two 750GB 7200 - rpm SATA 3GB/s disks
- DVD R/W (20x?)
- rack mountable specification to work with ASF infra requirements
- LOM or other features as necessary for ASF infra support
- to be developer managed and maintained by the Apache Geronimo Team
   - Apache Geronimo would assume all responsibility for:
      - configuration
      - backup/recovery
      - secure access
         - Strictly limited to those Apache Geronimo committers with
NDAs on file or additional Apache committers with NDAs and approved by
Geronimo PMC.
   - full, admin access would be granted to ASF infra with reboot directions
   - At least 2 active Apache Geronimo committers (with NDA
authorization) would identified to manage the machines.
- Running Linux with something like Xen for 4 VM images per machine.  We
may increase the number of VM images if it is feasible.
   - We would require both ssh and VNC access to the VMs.
   - It is not yet decided if we would use NAT to access the VMs or
public IP addresses.  Is there are recommendation from ASF Infra?
- Automation will most likely be added to run builds, execute tests, and
produce reports.
- Capability to manually run tests on demand would also be supported.

Admin Volunteers:
   - Joe Bohn (PMC)
   - Jay McHugh (PMC)
   - Jason Warner