geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: ASF hosted machines - proposal
Date Tue, 20 May 2008 01:56:33 GMT
Kevan Miller wrote:

> By the way, I volunteer to help admin these beasts.
>
> On May 19, 2008, at 2:36 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>
>> Kevan Miller wrote:
>>> Has anybody talked to Infra about virtualization environments,
>>> restrictions, guidance?
>>
>> I exchanged some emails with Justin Erenkrantz and asked about the VM
>> issue.  He mentioned that they had VMWare Workstation on one machine.
>> In general, I have the impression that they aren't as concerned about
>> the VM images/environment if we are controlling the machines.
>> However, I suspect we'll get a better feel for that once we submit a
>> request and see their response.
>
> K.
>

>>> Only 4 VM images? With an 8 core, I thought we'd try to allocate a VM
>>> per core...
>>
>> I thought about one per core but ended up with 2 just in case we need
>> it for other related activities.  This was also in line with what Matt
>> was recommending.  If we increase the # of VMs we would also need to
>> up the memory and possibly diskspace and that really started to look
>> excessive to me.  I was just trying to give a high level description
>> of our plans for the machines.  I don't think this limits us to just 4
>> VMs.  Perhaps instead of requesting additional machines later on we
>> could add any additional resources to get more VMs active on the first
>> 2 machines.
>
> OK. So, this number isn't laid in stone. We'll be tweaking to maximize
> our throughput and usage.

right

>>> --kevan

> Not sure what is meant by the last sentence.

The meaning is that running, managing, and sharing the test harness,
systems, and test results is beneficial to several Apache projects.
Certainly Geronimo is still the primary beneficiary but since we have
opened our test harness and results to other apache projects Geronimo is
not the sole beneficiary.  I thought that highlighting this
collaborative effort would improve our chances of getting the machines.

> A centralized testing environment allows the Geronimo community to more
> fully participate in the TCK process. Some committers don't have access
> to the hardware resources needed to run the Java EE TCK tests in a
> timely manner. Although some ad-hoc sharing of private machines has
> occurred, this is not ideal from a community perspective. Community
> controlled systems allow us to equitably share these resources.

Good words ... I'll add this.