geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: ASF hosted machines - proposal
Date Mon, 19 May 2008 18:36:29 GMT
Kevan Miller wrote:
> Has anybody talked to Infra about virtualization environments,
> restrictions, guidance?

I exchanged some emails with Justin Erenkrantz and asked about the VM
issue.  He mentioned that they had VMWare Workstation on one machine.
In general, I have the impression that they aren't as concerned about
the VM images/environment if we are controlling the machines.  However,
I suspect we'll get a better feel for that once we submit a request and
see their response.

> Only 4 VM images? With an 8 core, I thought we'd try to allocate a VM
> per core...

I thought about one per core but ended up with 2 just in case we need it
for other related activities.  This was also in line with what Matt was
recommending.  If we increase the # of VMs we would also need to up the
memory and possibly diskspace and that really started to look excessive
to me.  I was just trying to give a high level description of our plans
for the machines.  I don't think this limits us to just 4 VMs.  Perhaps
instead of requesting additional machines later on we could add any
additional resources to get more VMs active on the first 2 machines.