geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: ASF hosted machines for TCK testing
Date Fri, 16 May 2008 14:32:24 GMT
Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> I did a quick search on the web for what it would take to build two
> systems.  Here is the initial SWAG.
>
> SuperMicro CSE-825S2-R700LPV U2 Rackmountable eATX Case (700W PSU,
> Silver)        $750 x  2 = $1500
> Sony DRU190A 20X DVD Rewritable Drive - 20x
> DVD±R                                         $40 x   2 =        80
> Dynatron H53G 2U CPU Heatsink For Intel
> Xeon                                             $50 x   4 =      200
> Memory  - 2GB DDR2 667 ECC Fully
> Buffered                                             $80 x 16 =   1280
> Disk -  Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD7500AYYS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache
> SATA        $200 x 4  =     800
>
> Here is a SWAG at what we'd need to put two 8-core 16GB systems with
> logical mirroring 750GB storage.  The cost is $3860 from the above.  I'd
> round up to $4000 for tax, shipping, etc.
>
> We might be able to buy other systems for a lower  price point.  I've
> rounded to be conservative on cost.   I would Run Linux with Xen and 4
> VM's per server which would give us 8 server instances to work from.
>
> Thoughts welcome.
>

> Motherboard Information
> http://shopper.cnet.com/cases/supermicro-cse-825s2-r700lpv/4014-3030_9-31954268.html

> Heatsink Information
> http://www.netfreez.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=tags&searchstr=xeon

> DVD Information
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3569869&CatId=482

> Memory
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208200
>
> Disk
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136144

Matt,

This is great detail.  Thanks for pulling it together.  I think it would
be great if we could build and donate those machines ... but from some
discussions with infra it seems they would prefer to order machines
directly.  That way they can call in for support as the owners of the
machines and they can ensure that they meet all of their requirements
for power supplies, rack dimensions, rails, etc ... plus have some
general standards in the configuration.  Anything we can do to make
their life easier is a plus.

I will use your detailed analysis for the request though, which I plan
to have in a proposal on this list very soon.

Thanks,
Joe